Wednesday 28 March 2012

Evaluation Question 5

How did you attract/Address your audience?


Front Cover
Firstly, I knew that to sell a magazine it is important to highlight a target audience at which your magazine is going to be aimed. When I decided the specification for my magazine I chose that my target market would be males and females in the age bracket of 14-25. Therefore, I decided that to attract my target audience my model would have to fit my age bracket and would appeal to both genres. This why I decided to use Harry Yates for this, in real life he is 17 years old so is clearly inside my age bracket. Also, I believe that he is an attractive male so would appeal to girls in this respect.
Secondly, another method I used to attract my audience is that in the bottom left hand corner of my front cover I have listed the names of other artists of the same genre to match the genre of the magazine. This attracts the audience from how they see the names of the other artists and it gives them more reason to purchase my magazine form how it gives them more of an insight to what features are in my magazine. Also, I only featured British artists in my magazine. I believe that this makes the artists more familiar to the readers and it gives them more of a chance to have seen or to see them live.
Finally, I also decided that with my particular target audience (Boys and Girls, 14-25) it would be important to bring some element of fashion into my magazine. This is because my particular target audience would be particularly concerned about fashion and looks. The method I used to incorporate this into my magazine is by styling my model Harry Yates in stylish clothes so he would relate to the audience in that way.


Contents Page
I decided, taking my target audience into account, that I would try not to make my magazine to long of read. To avoid this I would have to try not to over pack pages with text or use very difficult long words. It is not because I believe my target audience are not very intelligent, but because I think that when my target audience read a magazine they do not want it to be a strenuous read but just interesting without using too much text. Through considering this, I decided on my contents page that I would use short sentences to describe the articles featured in my magazine.
Following on from this, too make what artists are featured on what pages in my magazine clear I decided to make the page numbers and the artists names font size 18 and leave the rest of the text size 10. I think this addresses my audience from how even if they are just skimming through the magazine the artists names will just catch their eye and will engage them in the magazine.
Also, I decided that I would put headers on my contents page to highlight the different sections of my magazine. For example, I used headers like 'Features' and 'Reviews'. This addresses the audience from how they can quickly find the sections that they are most interested.
Finally, to break down the page to make sure that it wasn't all text I decided to include some pictures. The first picture was a large picture of Harry with text about his article underneath. This is to remind the reader about the main article of the magazine and tell them what page it is on. I decided to use a second picture of a different artist to emphasise how the magazine is not just about one artist. I used a small picture of Tom Leason, who was my model for my draft magazine. I put this picture into the reviews box and made up a album for Tom.


Double Page Spread


The first method I used to attract my audience to my double page spread is how I made it relevant to the audience through using slang words which fit with the Rap/Grime genre of the magazine. Just using simple slang words such as 'Garms' and 'Tunes' makes the genre of the artist and genre clear and also addresses readers who use similar words.
The second method I used to attract the audience was placing the artist name in giant letters. This would attract readers from how if they were flicking through the magazine they would stop and see the words 'Harry Yates' and have their eyes drawn to it.
The cover line is another element of the double page spread which would attract readers from the words used. The cover line reads 'I'm young,i'm fresh and I want to bring something new to music'. This would attract the reader because by saying he is 'young and fresh' it implies the readers may not know who he is now but they will soon. Also, the word 'new' in the cover line is in capitals, a larger text and coloured grey. This makes the word new stand out above the rest of it, this allows it to draw peoples eyes to it and re enforces my last point about how the readers may not of heard of him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment